Gain experience, expand your knowledge
Looking for some real-world work experience in government? Apply for an internship at the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs. As a major state government agency, we offer a chance for you to earn college credit while learning skills and gaining the experience that every employer desires.
About the Internship Program
ADECA’s Internship Program offers college juniors and seniors a chance gain valuable work experience and earn course credit. The time and length of the unpaid internship are worked out on a case-by-case basis in compliance with university or college requirements.
The program is open to Alabama residents or students attending any Alabama institution. Students from colleges across Alabama have interned at ADECA including Alabama State University, Auburn University Montgomery, Huntingdon College, Trenholm Technical College and the University of Alabama.
Once selected, interns are placed in one of ADECA’s divisions or sections.
Typical duties include:
- Assisting with grant writing, monitoring and management of grants and programs
- Attending site visits with staff
- Entering and reviewing data to verify budgets and grants
- Attending and participating in ADECA meetings and other duties
How to apply
The program is open to college juniors or seniors with a GPA of 2.9 or higher. If you meet the academic requirements, submit an application and a letter of recommendation from your school to Artia Julius at email@example.com. If you have questions, call (334) 242-5252.
If your application meets criteria, we will contact you for an interview.
Download the application here.
“My experience as an ADECA intern has helped me prepare for my future career by giving me exposure to working in a professional office environment. I appreciate all the help and instruction I received from the Law Enforcement and Traffic Safety Division staff during my time at ADECA.”
– John Michael Sweatt, junior majoring in political science at Freed-Hardeman University and summer 2017 intern in ADECA’s Law Enforcement and Traffic Safety Division
“I was able to work with some really great people who helped me develop a really strong work ethic. Interning at ADECA also helped me form new networking connections that led to me getting a full-time position here when it became available.”
- Sharon Green, ADECA Energy Division Administrative Support Assistant, former ADECA intern
“All of my coworkers were very kind and always willing to help me out with my report for class. My short time at the Energy Division was very interesting. Probably my favorite experience was the time we visited three prisons in one day (to monitor an energy grant project). It was surreal and exciting and I don't think I'll ever forget it.”
- Joel Simpson, elementary English teacher in Taiwan, former ADECA Energy Division intern
“I really enjoyed my time as an intern at ADECA and was so happy when I had the opportunity to come back as a full-time employee after graduating. Getting started in the internship program was an easy process. Everybody at ADECA helped me learn so much about what working in the real world is like and how to be successful in that environment.”
– Shante’ Holley, ADECA Law Enforcement and Traffic Safety Division Planning and Economic Development Specialist, former ADECA intern